18 Super Effective Ways To Get Smooth Hair?
Have you ever wished to flaunt super smooth hair and be a head turner? Do you envy the celebrities because of their lustrous, silky and smooth hair or even their hair volume?
You don’t have to anymore. You would be surprised and happy to know that, it is very simple to transform your hair into your dream tresses.
You don’t have to anymore. You would be surprised and happy to know that, it is very simple to transform your hair into your dream tresses..
Smooth hair can be achieved by a process called hair smoothing that utilizes broadly two methods- natural and chemical. Natural methods are simple and have no side effects, but they are not permanent. The chemical methods provide a permanent solution (4-8 months) but have side effects and need proper care and maintenance.
In this article, I will discuss about both the natural and chemical methods for hair smoothing and you can choose the one, which is ideal for you.
The natural hair smoothing methods:
1. Use the shampoo suitable for hair typeA shampoo cleanses your scalp and also makes your hair soft and smooth. However you should always use the shampoo which is suitable for your hair. For better results, wash your hair twice with the shampoo.
- Try shampoos that do not contain sulfates or parabens. Sulfates are the chemicals that make shampoos lather up. Parabens are preservatives that cause irritation and eye problems after prolonged use. Both of these chemicals aren't healthy for you or the environment so try to use shampoos with natural cleansers.
- Choose a shampoo that suits your hair type. Don't just go for any old shampoo; go for the shampoo that works for you!
- Curly or coarse hair probably wants frizz-minimizing and softening shampoo.
- Straight or oily hair probably wants a gentle shampoo designed for daily washing.
- Colored or treated hair probably needs a shampoo that's fortified with extracts or amino acids, because treating your hair is essentially damaging it.
- Dry hair probably needs shampoos with glycerin and collagen to help restore some moisture into the hair.
Natural Ingredients to cleanse your hair.
- Make your own natural shampoo by boiling dried Indian gooseberry (amla), shikakai and reetha.
- Rub them well to get a soapy solution.
- Use this to wash your hair at least twice a week to get shiny and smooth hair.
2. Rinse with cold waterThis would be a very difficult task in winters, but never use hot water to rinse your hair, as it will make it frizzy and rough. Cool water rinse causes the hair cuticle to close and lie flat making the hair smooth. It also de-fizzes your hair, giving it the right volume.
3. Careful combing
- Never comb your hair when it is wet, as it will damage the top layer of your strands making it look fizzy and rough. Always allow your hair to dry down a bit and then comb through them using a wide toothed comb.
- Always start combing from the bottom of your strands, and move upwards toward the crown. If you start combing form the top of your head, it can cause breakage and damage which will lead to fizzy hair.
4. Proper conditioning
- A deep and right conditioning treatment can work wonders to your hair making them smooth and silky. Here is a secret tip for you – do not rinse off all the conditioner from your hair. Keep a little amount of conditioner behind. This will smoothen the outer surface of your strands.
- You can also use leave-in conditioners and serums, which are very useful to achieve that smooth and fizz free look. Leave-in conditioners are especially beneficial for people with curly hair.
5. Take a break from heat
- Straightener, curling iron, perming rod etc may be the best solution for instant styling but on regular use, these are very harmful for your hair. The heat from these tools damages your hair making them coarse and frizzy, by stripping off the natural sheen from your hair. So start loving your natural tresses.
- However if you want to use these tools, always remember to use the heat protecting spray or serum as it helps to reduce the damage from the excess the heat by forming an envelope over your hair.
6. Blow drying techniquesAlways try to dry your hair naturally but if are in a hurry, you can blow dry your hair. However use a good quality big toothed round brush with a ceramic base. Use the cool settings of your blow dryer always as this leads to less damage, by smoothing down the cuticle of your hair.
7. Say no to chemicalsDo not use products which contain Sodium Lauryl Sulphate or Ammonium Laureth Sulphate as both of them are industrial cleansers and are very harsh on your hair. Most of the shampoos contain these chemicals, so avoid using them. Research have shown that these chemicals cause heavy hair fall and thinning of hair.
Instead use shampoos with natural and organic ingredients, which are not harsh on your hair and also lock in the moisture thus giving you smooth and soft hair.
8. Trimming is importantAs you all are aware that trimming the ends of hair is very necessary as it helps to remove the split ends of your hair. The split ends give an appearance of dull, dry and damaged hair. So trim your hair in every 4-6 weeks to get smooth and silky hair.
Now I will discuss about the home remedies and hot oil treatments to get smooth hair. These home remedies are simple, easy to use, effective and have no side effects!!!
9. Mayonnaise maskTreat your hair by giving then this deep conditioning treatment once a week. Mayonnaise is a rich source of L-cysteine which is an amino acid and a powerful antioxidant, also found in eggs. Using this hair pack regularly stimulates healthy hair growth.
- Take a cupful of mayonnaise and add 2 teaspoon of avocado paste into it.
- Mix well until it becomes fluffy.
- Apply on the hair starting from the roots, where the hair is most damaged.
- Work up till the crown of your hair and cover your head with a shower cap.
- Keep for an hour and rinse off with shampoo.
10. Aloe Vera gelYou would be surprised to know that aloe Vera is a powerhouse of 75 known nutrients. It contains enzymes that lead to healthy hair growth and make it smooth and soft. The aloe Vera gel has the same chemical composition of the keratin- a protein which builds up our hair. Thus it also easy penetration of the gel into the hair strands and provides the required moisturization.
- Cut out the a few pieces of aloe Vera stem to get the fresh gel out of it.
- Dilute it with water and apply on the strands of the hair.
- Keep for 30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo.
11. Egg packYou must be familiar with the wonders of the egg pack. Whether you have dry or damaged hair or oily hair, want smooth and shiny hair, the egg hair pack is the instant solution to all. It contains a high concentration of proteins and nutrients, which help to make your hair shiny, bouncy and provide the texture and body.
- Beat an egg into a small bowl and then add 1 teaspoon of honey, cream and olive oil.
- Mix well to smooth paste and apply all over the hair.
- Keep until it gets dried and wash off with cool water and shampoo afterwards.
12. Banana pack
Bananas are rich in fruit acids such as glucose, fructose and sucrose. It keeps your hair well moisturised, reduces the fizz and soothes dry, flaky and itchy scalp with the regular use. The benefits of banana can be enhanced by adding yoghurt into it, as it is also a great hair moisturiser and smoothes the hair.
- Mash 1 ripe banana and add 2 teaspoon of yoghurt into it.
- Blend it in a blender to get a smooth paste so that no chunks of the banana remain.
- Apply this all over the hair stating from the tips and work up it the crown.
- Rinse off after 45 minutes with a shampoo.
13. Vinegar rinseApple cider vinegar has been used since ages as a natural rinse for hair. Our hair has a pH of 5.5, but the shampoos and conditioners are strongly alkaline. The apple cider vinegar helps to maintain the pH balance of the hair and remove the build up from the hair accumulated from the excessive use of styling products. Rinsing your hair with the vinegar, will close the cuticles of your hair making it smoother, softer and shiner.
- Dilute ¼ cup of vinegar with 1 cup of water.
- Use this as a final rinse after washing your hair. Leave this rinse on your hair.
14. Hot oil treatmentsA hot oil massage once a week not only gives you healthy and smooth hair, but also helps to de-stress yourself. Use oils such as coconut, olive, sweet almond, jojoba, lavender, rosemary and thyme to massage your hair. You can also use the combination of these essential oils for better results. After massaging your scalp, warp your head with a warm towel, as it helps for proper penetration into the pores and keep for 20 minutes. Wash off with shampoo.
The chemical Hair Smoothing methods:
15. Traditional relaxersThis method of hair smoothing softens and relaxes the natural texture of the hair. It is suitable for people having wavy or slightly curly hair as it does not work well with curly hair people. Relaxers provide a sort of temporary solution to texture and smooth the hair strands. The effect loses out once the chemicals fade out.
16. Chemical smoothingThis technique uses a lot of chemicals to break the natural bonds of your hair. Then the hair is washed with a smoothing solution and then the hair is straightened. This procedure lasts for 4-5 hours and the effects last for 3 months. Regular touch-ups are required to keep the smooth and straight look of your hair. It is not meant for coloured hair.
17. Thermal reconditioningAlso known as Japanese straightening, this technique is suitable for bulky, loose to medium curls, but not for very tight curls. The hair is repeatedly washed with the chemical solution which helps to break bonds and then each strand is shaped. Finally the neutraliser is applied to achieve the smooth, silky and straight hair. This technique permanently changes the structure of your hair and regular touch ups are required every 5-6 months depending upon the growth of your hair. It is not suitable for coloured or processed hair. Here is a detailed post on Japanese straightening.
18. Brazilian keratin treatmentThis technique has widely gained popularity due to the use of keratin, which is less harsh on the hair. It smoothes the surface of the hair but do not permanently beak away the bonds of the hair. Thos treatment controls fizz by maintaining the volume and texture of the hair. It is safe for coloured hair and is suitable for all hair type from waves to tight curls. Here is a detailed post on Brazilian Keratin treatment.
Follow these natural methods or choose any chemical treatments, to get smoother and shiner hair!!! Post in comments and suggestions.
Till then take care and keep it stylish!!!!!